Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Bips' breast job to get over John


After seriously wanting a boob job for over 2 and a half years, I finally have the necessary cash to go for it, by combining what I’ve managed to save of my student loan, cashed-in children’s bonds and 21st birthday money with reward money from my dad for graduating from Uni with a first class honours degree. Today I go for a consultation with Allen Rezai at his practice at 40 Harley Street. A couple of years ago I met one of his former patients on a modelling job and asked for her surgeon’s name as her boobs looked fab and very natural, which was important to me as I’m not a fan of the obviously fake look. Since then, I’ve done some research on the internet and only found positive reports from his patients, who all seem to agree that he’s given them amazing, natural-looking results with barely noticeable scars.


I’ve had some problems arranging the consultation as I was originally told me the wrong date, so that I received a phone call to ask where I was on what I thought was the day before my appointment! So I had to wait another 2 weeks for his next free slot. But finally the day has arrived, and, after waiting for about half an hour in the waiting room and filling in a medical history form, my boyfriend and I meet Mr Rezai. He is very friendly and professional, and seems to have a permanent smile on his face! I want to have a slight bump on my nose removed at the same time, but he will only do one procedure at a time to minimise the risk of complications, discomfort and recovery time, and informs me that my nose is ‘perfect’ anyway, at least from the front! I decide that my breasts are higher on the priority list! The consultation seems to pass at the speed of light - he reels off information on the operation, risks, possible complications and post-operative care, asks if I have questions, and gives me several sheets of paper to sign (informed consent etc.) which he stresses do not commit me to anything, but just mean everything will be ready to go on the day if I decide to have the surgery with him.


I am given copies of everything I sign to take home, including explanations of all the potential complications. I ask him what he would do in the event of a complication - he tells me that the most common complication is post-operative bleeding, and that in this case they would keep me in hospital and monitor me for as long as necessary, and that the most common long-term complication is capsular contracture, the risk of which he estimates at about 3%. He says that if this occurred, I would have to have my implants replaced, which he would do free of charge, but that once capsular contracture had occurred once, the risk of it reoccurring would be 50%, and that in the case of a reoccurrence the implants would have to be removed permanently. He also tells me that there are risks of bad scarring, and permanent loss of/change in nipple sensation, but that in the vast majority of cases sensation returns to normal within a year. He also tells me that I would need to avoid aspirin for 2 weeks pre- and post-op, and multi-vitamins for 1 week pre-and post-op, to minimise the risk of excessive bleeding. I ask him whether I would need to avoid anything else, such as garlic, and he agrees that I should indeed also avoid garlic for 2 weeks pre-op and one week post-op. I am also told that I would need to wear a sports bra 23 hours a day for 4 weeks post-op, should not wear underwired bras for 6 months as they could misshape my breasts, should not drive for 7-10 days if my implants are placed over the muscle, or 14 days if they are placed under the muscle, and should wait for 6 weeks before resuming exercise and heavy lifting. He would see me for follow-up appointments 1 week and 2 months after surgery, and then once a year.
Share/Bookmark

No comments:

Post a Comment